70+ riddles and clues for a Christmas treasure hunt

16 December 2019


Every Christmas morning we have a treasure/scavenger hunt. I have hidden clues and a present for each of them at the end. For children who cannot read, you could take pictures (or draw) of the places where things are hidden. If you want to make it even more difficult, cut the picture into a few pieces and put them in an envelope so they have to assemble the pieces to see the picture.

For the older kids (8 and up) I like to do riddles and clues around the house. Here are some of the ones I have used (Some hiding places have a few you could choose from):


Bed
  • It’s been a long day, it’s time to rest. You can lie down on my chest. Soft yet sturdy, I’ll cradle you. And in the morning, feel life anew.

Bike
  • Hop on, let’s go, don’t make me beg. My wheels are fast, but use your legs!

Blackboard.
  • What is white when it is clean and black when it is dirty.

Book shelf
  • A story, they say, can take you away. But a book still needs a place to stay.
  • The next place you’ll need to look, is the place where you can find a book.

Candle

  • My life can be measured in hours. I am thin, I am quick, I am fat, I am slow and a breath is my enemy.
  • I grow shorter, as I grow older?

Car
  • Here I come and there I go. I move really fast, anywhere I go. That’s why you take me when you’re in a hurry. When I zoom by, I might look blurry.
  • What goes brrrum, and travels far? Yep your next clue is in the ….?

Chair

  • With four strong legs, I stand with pride. But please, don’t hesitate to take a ride. Though I love to stand all day, I was made for your rump to stay.

Christmas tree

  • No one is the same. Armor of prickly needles. Covered in bling. I am a tough thing.
  • With clothes of green, And bark of a dog, Search me for the goods, I sleep like a log.

Clock

  • I have a face that doesn't frown, I have hands that do not wave, I have no mouth, just a familiar sound, I don't walk but I move around. What am I?
  • I have hands but no arms, just a face and my hands move at a steady pace.

Closet
  • You are nearly at the end. So go out with a bang. You can find your grand prize in the place your clothes hang.

Computer
  • If it’s work or if it’s play, my features will fill up your day. No, I’m not a book or board game, but I will work just the same. So have a seat and light my screen. I’ll show you exactly what I mean.

Desk
  • I have drawers and also a nice flat top. For homework I’m helpful – keep working. Don’t stop.

Dining table
  • Family, friends, come sit around me. I carry food for you to enjoy. My flat surface, you place your plates. A meal for every girl and boy.

Door
  • Strong and sturdy, count on me! Just keep me locked, and you’ll see. Tall and solid, all homes have me. To get me open, you’ll need a key.
  • I have a handle and also a lock. Visitors and salesmen may give me a knock

Door Mat
  • You use me after playing in the dirt. I willingly lay on the floor, welcoming you at the door.
  • I don't go out and play, I just stay home all day, I'm nice you might agree, but mostly your feet just rub me?
  • Look under where you wipe your shoes.

Egg
  • If you throw me I am white, but when I land I am yellow. What am I?
  • A box without hinges key or lid yet golden treasure inside is hid.

Fire/fireplace
  • If you feed me I grow bigger but if you give me a drink I will die.
  • Ready or not, the hunt has begun. Find the next clue where stockings are hung.

Freezer
  • We’re just getting started, The first clue has been found. Now let’s go to the coldest spot around.
  • You’re getting warmer, but I am not. The next clue lies where it never gets hot.
  • Find the place that is like the north pole.

Fridge
  • You won't be hungry when I am full. It keeps the food nice and chilled.
  • If you’re in a hungry mood. Go here first and get some food.
  • Standing quietly against a wall, you rarely notice me though I’m tall. Inside, I keep a lot of treats. Open my door and then you’ll see!

Glass cupboard
  • To find the next clue, you’ll have to think, you’ll use one of these if you need a drink.

Keyboard

  • Can you find something which has keys that open no locks, with space buy no room and allows you to enter but not go in?

Mailbox
  • What is filled six days a week, but if you don’t own it you can’t take a peek.

Microwave
  • I have a sound that goes beep, and though time I do keep, my main function is to heat.

Mirror
  • All shining and silver, With a beautiful face, You look into me, And find this place.
  • You look at me to see yourself.
  • I don’t speak, can’t hear or speak anything, but I will always tell the truth.
  • This item can be used, to see what is right there. An evil queen used hers, to find out who’s most fair.
  • When you look at this, you see perfection, because what you see is your reflection.

Office

  • A site of work and getting things done, Of piles of paper and not much fun, In the clash of desk and of chair, You will find the secret there.

Oven
  • Turn up the heat, it will help you bake, cookies, casseroles and even a cake.

Piano
  • Keys open my door, but mine only make a sound?
  • My colors are like a skunk. But I do not affect the nose, just the ears. I can be loud, beautiful, quiet, or annoying depending on who is with me.

Pillow
  • I loose my head in the morning, but get it back every night.
  • Soft and plump, I’ll be right here. Throughout your dreams, you’ll keep me near. I’ll keep you comfy all through the night, and you’ll leave me here in the morning light.
  • You will lay your head here when you’re about to count sheep, it often gets fluffed before you go to sleep.

Plate
  • A full one puts a smile on your face. You keep on going like it’s a race. But as my contents start to diminish, you’ll start to think if you’re ready to finish. What am I?

Printer
  • It's full of paper and full of ink. But it's not a book. So what is it do you think.
  • I have a plug, but no bath. I have ink, but no pen. I have paper, but no news. And I have a cable but no tv.
  • It’s full of paper and full of ink, its not a book so what do you think?

Shampoo
  • If I get in your eyes it might hurt.

Shower
  • Go look where it rains indoors
  • A place where water falls down like rain, after it falls on you it goes down the drain.
  • Jump inside, the water’s fine! If it’s not, just take your time. Move the knobs and get it right. I make sure you’re clean every day and night.

Sink
  • No time to stop now, it’s too much fun. Let’s go to where the dishes are done
  • Looking for the missing link? Take a peek in the sink!

Soap
  • From dirt, to paint, and everything in between, I’m your number on companion in keeping clean.

Sofa
  • I am soft and comfortable. Not a bed, not a chair. What am I?

Stairs
  • Step and step and step, you go. To reach the top, you will start low. With ever step, the goal you’ll reach. Although the journey might make it hard to breathe.
  • Go through the place, That hosts the chairs. The prize is hidden, On the…?????
  • I go up and down, but I never move.

Stove
  • I never get angry, but I do get hot. I'm the perfect place for a pan or a pot.

Table
  • If you were ‘able’, you’d add a ‘T’?

Telephone
  • What has a ring, but no finger?

Toaster
  • I’m hungry! I’m hungry! Please feed me a slice. I’ll spit it back out all brown and nice.

Towel
  • The more I dry, the wetter I become.

Trash
  • Fill me up all the way, but take me out or I will stink.

Trees
  • Tall and strong, I stay outside. The sun, the rain, they’re by my side. I give birds homes and help you breathe. I even give you fruit to eat.

Tumble drier
  • It’s my job to give all your clothes a tumble, which I do while making a bit of a rumble.

TV
  • Flat, black, and seemingly boring, I sit in the living room all day. Not until you turn me on do colors flash on my display.
  • Where you can watch films, cartoons and episodes too, check behind me to find the last clue

Washing machine
  • Round and round, that’s the only way for me! I take with me all your laundry. No need to fret, they’re safe with me. I just want to keep them clean.
  • I have a big mouth and make a lot of sound. I do not tell on you, even if I am involved in a lot of dirty business.

Window
  • Keep me open, keep me closed. There’s really nothing I oppose. But when it rains, or when it’s cold, to keep me shut is what you’re told.
  • What invention lets you look right through a wall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

@instagram