10 things to collect from nature for crafting

2 September 2019

1. Feathers

If I see any feathers, I take them home with me and clean them. They look so good on presents. I spraypaint part of them to add an festive touch.

2. Branches

Collect branches or driftwood. Get them in all sizes, and you could make a tree advent calendar. Lay them on the floor and arrange from big to small to make a Christmas tree shape. Space them out and tie with rope. Hang your presents from each branch.

3. Twigs

Gather twigs and make stars. You could wrap fairy light around the stars and hang them in the window.

4. Berries

Every autumn I take the kids and pick berries which I keep in the freezer for Chrismas. I collect mainly blueberries, lingonberries (a smaller version of cranberries) and red currants. When I need them, I simply defrost them and add sugar. Voila - the best jam in the world.

5. Non edible berries

I also put these in the freezer and add them to ice lanterns.


6. Pinecones

My number one item to collect at this time is pinecones. They can be used for so much. Add them to the table as decoration, use them in wreaths, paint them and decorate presents, use them as fire starters or make place card holders.

7. Herbs

The easiest herbs to dry are strong leaved herbs like bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and sage. Clean the herbs and hang them in small bunches upside down for about 10 days. You could also dry them in the oven.

8. Lavender

Flowers like lavender, will be great for adding to bath bombs or bath salts. Simply gather into small bunches and hang them upside down in a dark place. They will dry in about 2 - 4 weeks.



9. Fir tree branches

A bit closer to Christmas you could get some fir tree branches and make a wreath for your door.

10. Logs

If you happen to cut down a tree from your garden or if you find a big log, save it. Medium logs can be used as candle stick holders. Just drill a hole in the middle. Bigger logs can be cut into thin slicer as place setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

@instagram